The V Encontro Internacional de Piano Contemporâneo (5th International Contemporary Piano Conference) online edition will be held by the Music Department of the Faculty of Philosophy, Sciences and Letters of Ribeirão Preto – University of São Paulo (USP-Brazil) in partnership with the Graduate Program in Music at the Federal University of Minas Gerais (UFMG-Brazil), the School of Music and Performing Arts (ESMAE-Portugal), and the Research Center in Sociology and Musical Aesthetics (CESEM- Portugal) between the 12th and 14th of November, 2020.
The conference theme, in this 5th edition, will be The Piano Works of Brazilian composer Almeida Prado (1943-2010). In addition to paying tribute to Almeida Prado on the 10th anniversary of his death, we hope to create an environment for discussions on performance practices, techniques, and contemporary music repertoire with emphasis on the piano works of Almeida Prado. We also encourage performers, composers and researchers to submit proposals on piano works of contemporary composers of the 20th and 21st centuries, (including working with electronics, experimental practices and improvisation) in the following modalities: research paper communications and lecture-recitals.
The Conference program consists of:
- Conferences on the main theme of the event
- Research paper communications
- Research paper communications: papers that result from a completed or ongoing investigation may be submitted, provided that they present consistent partial results. For the submission, an original and unpublished video must be
sent with the communication (with a maximum duration of 15 minutes). Editing will be at the discretion of the authors, which may include illustrations, audios, and/or other resources. This communication must be sent through an unlisted link on YouTube, which will be forwarded to the scientific committee for evaluation. Papers in Portuguese, Spanish, English, and French will be accepted.
- Lecture-recitals: in this modality, proposals that result from artistic research may be submitted. For the submission, an original unpublished video of the lecture-recital (maximum duration of 30 minutes) must be sent. Editing will be at the discretion of the authors, which may include illustrations, audios, and/or other resources. This lecture-recital must be sent through an unlisted link on YouTube, which will be forwarded to the scientific committee for evaluation. Papers in Portuguese, Spanish, English, and French will be accepted.
The highly rated papers will be selected for publication in Revista da Tulha (Tulha Magazine) of the University of São Paulo.
Rules and procedures for submission of proposals and registration:
- Each author or co-author must submit only one paper in each category;
- The videos must be uploaded as unlisted links on YouTube;
- The links must be sent to the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org;
- Be sure to include in your e-mail message the link of your video presentation (research paper communication or lecture-recital). Abstract (c.200 words) should include the title of the article, the name of the author, institution affiliation, and a brief biography (c.150 words).
Call for papers 10/09/20 a 10/10/20
Scientific Committee Evaluation 10/10/20 a 23/10/20
Annoucement of selected proposals 25/10/20
Download event PDF here