Manuel Mendes Madeira
Manuel Mendes Madeira was born in Caldas da Rainha. In 1968, he started the Licentiate Degree (pre-Bologna) in Electrical Engineering at the Instituto Superior Técnico (Technical University of Lisbon), having later taken a postgraduate course in “Semiconductors and Microprocessors” as a Philips scholarship holder at the Research Center of Eindhoven (Netherlands) of that Company.
From October 1974 to July 1978 he earned a PhD in “Data Transmission and Computer Networks” at London CBI University as a fellow of that organization and in 1995 completed the Advanced Management in Administration (MBA) at Harvard University.
In 2019, he completed a degree in Art History at Universidade Nova de Lisboa, having started that same year his master’s degree in Contemporary Art, and is currently awaiting the defense of his thesis on “The Power of Image as a Political Tool: from the New State to PREC ”.
At the same time, he is completing a degree in Musical Sciences at the same University.
From a professional point of view, he was University Professor of Digital Systems at Instituto Superior Técnico (Technical University of Lisbon) and President of several Telecommunications Companies, namely TMN and Marconi SA. He is the author of dozens of publications and communications in national and international magazines and congresses.
- “Social aspects of Lisbon in the Nineteenth Century from iconographic representations of life of fadista Maria Severa (1901,1931, 2019)”
- “Towards a jazz-band musical iconography in the 20’s in Portugal, via some racist “novelas” and a political discourse (António Ferro)”
- “Data Transmission and Computer Networks” (PhD thesis)
- Fibres Optiques et Telecommunications, Seminário Internacional no Instituto Franco-Português, 1990;
- A reestruturação do sector empresarial do Estado nas vésperas do Mercado Único Europeu – Perspectivas e Estratégias para as Telecomunicações, Congresso do Centro de Estudos de Economia Pública e Social, 1990;
- Estado da Arte dos Serviços Avançados de Telecomunicações, Congresso de Serviços Avançados de Telecomunicações, 1989;
- Redes e Serviços Públicos de Telecomunicações – Estado de Arte, 1989;
- Reflexões sobre uma estratégia para o posicionamento empresarial das Telecomunicações – CTT, 1989;
- Telepac – The Portuguese Data Network: Development and Perspectives in a Telematic Context, Telecommunications Review, 1988;
- Serviços Avançados de Telecomunicações, 1988;
- Portuguese Telecommunications Global Strategy, Congresso da OCDE em Istambul, 1987;
- Evolution of Telematica Services in Portugal, I Congresso Ibero Americano, Madrid, 1987;
- Transdata – Uma Organização para Telemática, 1986;